Teacher Training Curriculum Outline
I. Yoga Philosophy
As an introduction to the theory and practice of hatha yoga, Bikram will give an introductory series of talks on yoga philosophy as outlined below.
A. Four Concepts of Life
- Brahmacharya – Renunciation
- Garahasthya – Family Life
- Banaprasthya – Non-attachment
- Sanyas – Asceticism
B. Eight Kinds of Yoga
- Karma Yoga – Work or Action
- Hatha Yoga – Physical
- Raja Yoga – Mental
- Vedanta Yoga – Philosophical
- Bhakti Yoga – Devotional
- Mantra Yoga – Mantra Chanting
- Laya Yoga – Esoteric
- Jnana Yoga – Wisdom
C. Human Concepts
D. Eight Characteristics of Yoga
- Yama – Don’ts
- Niyama – Do’s
- Asana – Postures
- Pranayama – Breath Control – Life Force Control
- Pratyahara – Internalization
- Dhana – Meditation
- Dharana – Realization
- Samadhi – Absorption
E. Five Steps of Hatha Yoga
II. Theory and Practice
Bikram’s hatha yoga system explained.
Through demonstration and individual practice, Bikram will personally guide you through the theory and practice of the Bikram’s Basic Yoga System which includes twenty-six postures and two pranayamas.
III. Allopathic Physical Systems
Guest medical doctor specialists from the U.S. and India will familiarize you with the various aspects of the human body system.
- Skeletal System
- Muscular System
- Nervous system
- Visceral System
- Endocrine System
- Immune System
D. Pathology – Chronic and acute diseases and disorders
IV. Yogic Physical Systems
In order to understand the sometimes called esoteric human systems, specialists will present the following subjects
A. Subtle Anatomy
- Energy Fields
- Energy Flow
- Energy Regeneration
B. Chakric System – Seven Main Chakras
V. Integration of Medical and Yogic Systems
Here Bikram will tie together the East and the West as he discusses the methods and processes for total human physical and mental well-being.
A. Biochemical balance
B. Balance Between Body and Mind
C. Enhancement of Major Body Functions
D. Description of the benefits of each posture for the healthy person
VI. Yoga Therapy
A. Application of asanas to chronic and acute diseases and disorders
Bikram will present the postures which may be used to correct particular chronic and acute diseases and disorders
B. Correct Alignment of Asanas
- Importance of correct form to achieve therapeutic results and produce anatomical benefits. Here Bikram will discuss and demonstrate the correct form of each posture as it should be used.
- Importance of partial correct form when client has physical limitations. Through demonstration and discussion, Bikram will emphasize the proper manner for entering into a posture, and the benefits of performing only the first part of posture 100% correct when that’s the student’s limit and the error of attempting any part of the posture until the first part is done correctly. Here he emphasizes his concept of trying the right way.
- Achieving maximum benefit for the functioning of all internal organs, important glands, veins, nerves, ligaments, tendons, and minute tissues . Bikram will lecture on the scientific processes of the hatha yoga system to give you a clear understanding of how hatha yoga achieves complete balance of the body.
C. Class Yoga Therapy
- Conducting the Basic System of Twenty-eight poses in a group arrangement. Bikram will demonstrate and discuss the proper procedures for conducting the Basic System. Through practice, you will have an opportunity to apply these principles.
- Modification of postures for individuals due to known problems. In actual yoga class situations, Bikram will show you how to modify poses for individuals with physical problems. He will also discuss the major diseases and the postures which should be excluded or modified from an individual’s repertoire.
- Identification of unknown individual problems through observation. Here Bikram will show you how to identify individual physical problems which are not identified to you by the individual. Through practice, you will develop an eye to spot certain problems people have but don’t think about such as tilted hip, weak limb, etc.
D. Correcting Postures
Bikram will demonstrate and through practice, you will gain an understanding of how to apply verbal and hand-on methods to help individuals correct their postures.
E. Yoga for The Infirmed
Bikram will discuss and demonstrate the special considerations required for conducting a class with a seriously infirmed person. He will introduce you to the Bikram’s Yoga College of India Consulting Service which will be available to you to guide you through special problems with severely infirmed students.
As outlined below, you will learn what it takes to open and operate a Bikram’s Yoga College of India.
- Demonstration Methods
- Lecture Methods
B. Setting up a Yoga Studio
- Facility and Requirements
- How to Conduct Classes
- How to Get New Students
- How to Hold Students
- Secrets of how to run a yoga studio.
- Tracking Students
- Banking and Financing
- How Bikram’s Yoga College of India will help you get started.
- Bikram’s Yoga College of India Affiliation Plan